The AIHS, chartered in 1975, established a museum to ensure that then-vivid memories and artifacts would not be lost and forgotten. The continuing goal of the Society is to provide public education through collection, preservation, research, interpretation and exhibition of artifacts, documents, oral histories and photographs relevant to the settlement and development of Anderson Island.
The period between 1850 and 1975 has been chosen as the chronological scope within which the collections will be maintained because that era saw the settlement of the island which played an historic role in development of the region known as South Puget Sound…
Our events are family-friendly, free and open to the public. Food items, plants and raffle tickets are sold where mentioned. Donations for tours are always welcome. Volunteers are always needed. These events are great fun to attend and many of our volunteers come back year after year. That must mean the volunteering is fun, too. If you’d like to volunteer at any of these events, use the VOLUNTEER FORM and we’ll be in touch.
The Johnson Farm was established in 1896 when Finnish-Swedish immigrants John and Alma Marie first built a two-room cabin on the hillside south of the present farmhouse (which was built in 1912).
The Museum Store was opened in 1992 as part of the overall plan. It is housed in one of the renovated chicken houses located just north of the main farmhouse.
AIHS issues a regular newsletter to our members. This newsletter is available here on our site in PDF format for download or viewing. We are currently working on adding previous issues to the site as well.